Sunday, January 9, 2022

 9 Jan 2022

I am looking forward to the Season 2 Premier of the PBS series "All Creatures Great and Small" tonight.  It has been one of my favorites for years, both in the original PBS series and the books that the series is based on.  I have read the set of books by James Herriot numerous times and the stories never get boring.  He has such a down to earth way of telling his stories that just keep you reading.  This new series lives up to the books.  I have also just read that the series has been renewed for two more seasons after this one!  Great news!  Tonight at 9pm Eastern. 

Books have been present in one way or another all of my life.  From the Little Golden books of my childhood to obscure history books that no one but a history buff would be interested in.  Once I was old enough to walk our town by myself, I often found my way to our local library. It was just off of my route home from school up until I was in 8th grade.  Mary and I would meet there often in the summers, as she lived on the other side of town from me.  We would join the Summer Reading Program and always leave the library with an armful of books and be back the next week for more.  High school found me in the library more for homework and, yes, meeting my boyfriend after school. After we were married, I read less but still went to our library occasionally.  I will always remember my introduction to the history section.  I picked up a book called "Andersonville" that told about the infamous southern Civil War prison camp.  It wasn't stuff that they taught you in history class in those days.  I had entered a whole new world of reading.  Learning things I never imagined.  But when we moved away, I had less access to a local library.  Some books traveled with me, so I could still read them again.  Eventually, I discovered paperback romance novels. I read quite a few of those in my younger days.  I moved on from them as the stories always follow the same theme. My interest in History stayed with me though and I was always drawn to anything historic, a book or a place to go.  Then I discovered Genealogy.  The perfect match and my bookshelf is now groaning with books that I just cannot part with.  And the rest is, well, history. 


Please give credit and post a link to my blog if you intend to use any of the information written here. My blog posts are © Ann M Sinton 2022. All rights reserved. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Planes - (Week 27 - 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks)

 If you live anywhere near a major airport or military air base, you know it can be a love/hate relationship at times.  Some look at it as a...