Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Week 1: Foundations (52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks)

 ec·lec·tic

/əˈklektik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.

That's me.  And this blog is a huge leap for me.  So hopefully, over time, it will get better and better and the things that I share are of interest. 

Genealogy is one of my interests and is why I have decided to try out blogging.  I've joined a challenge called "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks" where you write a genealogy based story following a theme provided each week or month if that works better for you.  Here is a link to the Facebook group, Generations Cafe, for this challenge.


#52ancestors

4 Jan 2022

Week 1 - Foundations - 52 Ancestors

I want to keep this short till I get the hang of things. 

It just happens that this morning, I had a genealogy query that had me looking at one of my 4th great grandfathers.  And then I remembered the theme for this week's 52 Ancestors.  Seemed a perfect fit.

His name is Zachariah Nixon and he was born into a Quaker family in 1770 in Pasquotank County, North Carolina.  About 1809, Zachariah, his wife and 7 children and many other Quaker families moved from North Carolina to Indiana.  In 1812, he settled permanently in Washington County, Indiana.  Zachariah bought the first lots in the new town that would become Salem, Indiana.  He also owned a tract of land called Nixon's Addition in Salem.  Zachariah was a leader among the settlers, an Overseer of the Poor and a trustee of the Salem Peace Society. He would be part of the foundation of Salem, Indiana along with his fellow settlers. He was among the original information our family had on our roots - something to build on - and he is also part of the foundation of my interest in genealogy.   

And last this story is the foundation of this new blogging thing I'm trying!

Thanks for reading!

Please give credit and post a link to my blog if you intend to use any of the information written here. My blog posts are © Ann M Sinton 2022. All rights reserved. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Planes - (Week 27 - 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks)

 If you live anywhere near a major airport or military air base, you know it can be a love/hate relationship at times.  Some look at it as a...