Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Week 32 - At The Library (52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks)


I spent many, many hours at the local library when I was a young girl.  It was one of my favorite places to go.  In those days, I was fortunate to be able to walk from my house to downtown and bring home an armload of books to read.  I would meet my best friend, Mary, there too.  We both loved to read.  I always thought that being a librarian would be the best job.  It was not to be, but as I got older, I spent my time in the library doing research for homework assignments. It never felt like "work" to me because I loved the search and the results of the search.  


My hometown library in Pottsville, PA

Later in life, when I became interested in genealogy, I would try to visit the library when we were home visiting, but those times were few and far between.  When I would go, I would not find very much for the family I was searching for or didn't know what to ask for there,  With small children to raise, I could not travel to locations that may have had the information that I was looking for and really had no time to devote to the letter writing required in those days when I wanted to ask for information.

Then the Internet came along. It was like having a library at my fingertips.  My genealogy pursuit came alive as I was able to find much more of the information that I wanted.  I also began finding more books that I wanted to read and now I have my own home mini library.




Even though I do not often get to the local library, I still recognize their value as a place to learn how to research and find things otherwise unknown and I hope that they never go away.  



 Please give credit and post a link to my blog if you intend to use any of the information written here. My blog posts are © Ann M Sinton 2022. All rights reserved. .   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Planes - (Week 27 - 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks)

 If you live anywhere near a major airport or military air base, you know it can be a love/hate relationship at times.  Some look at it as a...