Monday, November 14, 2022

Week 46 - Tombstones (52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks)

Shortly after Memorial Day in 2005, I visited the grave of my 3rd great grandfather, John B Amos, in Bedford, PA.  John was born in 1833, was a Civil War veteran and passed away in 1901. I first went to the office in town that held the records for the cemetery and later easily located the gravesite.  Once there, I took some photos and found a few other family graves nearby.  Being right after Memorial Day, there were many flags adorning other graves in the cemetery.  I wondered why there was not one on John's grave. It clearly stated the Regiment that he served in on the stone and the records also stated that he was a soldier.  There was not even a GAR flag holder in sight. I asked at the office if I could place one there myself and they said yes.  Over time, I found what I wanted, ordered a holder and flag.  In 2007, I was able to go back to the cemetery and place both at his grave.  In the process of placing the flag holder, I found the original one pushed deep down along the base of the stone. It must have happened during grass mowing and was just pushed deeper and deeper till no one would be able to see it any longer.  So now he has two, but will be able to have a flag placed each year now to recognize his service.  

This is Lt. John Border Amos



His gravestone before and after



In 2005, with flag at a grave in the background





In 2007, properly honored




 Please give credit and post a link to my blog if you intend to use any of the information written here. My blog posts are © Ann M Sinton 2022. All rights reserved. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Planes - (Week 27 - 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks)

 If you live anywhere near a major airport or military air base, you know it can be a love/hate relationship at times.  Some look at it as a...