Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Lots of Backyard Visitors

 I've always had an interest in nature.  This interest has pointed me to raising Monarch butterflies, planting some native plants in my yard and feeding the backyard birds to name a few of my activities.  I have to share what happened today.  

When I got up this morning, pre-dawn, I spied 4 Whitetail deer lying down in our backyard just resting.  I'm glad they feel safe enough to do so in my yard.  

Later, within 10 minutes of filling the feeder on my deck, many, many birds showed up.  It is a mild but cloudy day that may have contributed to all of the activity.  I began to notice that there were more than the usual customers arriving.  

First, the 4 Eastern Bluebirds that came yesterday, showed up again.  They are not frequent visitors to my yard, but have been seen the last few years, maybe once a year.  Then I noticed a Mockingbird. I have seen them in other parts of my neighborhood but never at my feeders.  Later, a Flicker came to the suet feeder. They are around but do not appear very often.  A Pileated Woodpecker appeared at the edge of our woods.  Lastly, the local Sharp Shinned Hawk flew in and scared everyone away.  This all happened over the space of about an hour and a half.  Some only made one appearance and others were back and forth all morning.  A special day of bird watching for me.  All I need now is for the local turkey flock to come by!

And, of course, the resident squirrels made their appearances.  We have the Gray, Fox and Red Ground Squirrels.  The chipmunks are not out and about yet.  


Here is a list of the 19 different birds that I  observed today.

Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse

Goldfinch, both male and female

House Finch, both male and female

Cardinal, both male and female

Blue Jay

Junco

Carolina Wren

Mourning Dove

Starling

Mockingbird

Eastern Bluebird

White Breasted Nuthatch

Red Belly Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker, both male and female

Pileated Woodpecker

Flicker

Sharp Shinned Hawk

Some photos from today













































 Please give credit and post a link to my blog if you intend to use any of the information written here. My blog posts are © Ann M Sinton 2022. All rights reserved. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Planes - (Week 27 - 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks)

 If you live anywhere near a major airport or military air base, you know it can be a love/hate relationship at times.  Some look at it as a...