Monday, April 15, 2024

Eclipse 2024

 Just a few thoughts from watching the April 8, 2024 eclipse today. 

I have always been interested in watching eclipses or looking for comets or hoping to see a bright meteor during a meteor shower.  I remember my father talking about them and naming stars to me. I do remember past eclipses, one when I was very young where it did get somewhat dark, one not so much dark and of course the more recent one in 2017. 

Today, even  tho Pittsburgh was not in the path of totality, it was still an amazing experience. To watch the moon pass in front of the sun for about 2 1/2 hours put a lot in perspective. We are so small in comparison. But how to comprehend. 

I commented to my husband comparing a solar eclipse to a lunar eclipse. I feel connected to both but in different ways. A solar eclipse feels a little less natural with the glasses we need to wear while looking at it, while a lunar eclipse there is nothing but the moon and your eyes taking in the sight. But the solar eclipse has tangible physical characteristics in the dimming of the light in midday and the cooling of temperatures more noticeable than just walking into the shade or a cloud passing in front of the sun. Both types are very interesting and powerful. 

Some of my photos from our backyard today. I used my cell phone and covered the lens with a pair of eclipse glasses.  Worked pretty well. 



2:04 PM EST




                                                                         2:53 PM EST



                                                     Dimness at totality, 3:19 PM EST



Pittsburgh 97.1 % totality at 3:16 PM EST



3:27 PM EST




4:07 PM EST








Please give credit and post a link to my blog if you intend to use any of the information written here. My blog posts are © Ann M Sinton 2024. All rights reserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Planes - (Week 27 - 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks)

 If you live anywhere near a major airport or military air base, you know it can be a love/hate relationship at times.  Some look at it as a...