Monday, May 23, 2022

Week 21 - Yearbook (52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks)

 With all the digitization of yearbooks in recent years, it would not be uncommon to find one of your ancestors' image and list of activities from High School and College somewhere.  But isn't it nice if you are fortunate enough to have their actual yearbooks.  The custom of signing yearbooks is probably something that most of us have experienced.  Extra things can be learned about your ancestor just from some of these brief yearbook moments.  

I am the lucky one to have my Dad's high school and college yearbooks as well as my maternal grandmother's high school yearbooks.  And, of course, my own and my husband's.  My grandmother's, being from 1930 & 1931, were especially interesting to read.  It really gives one a feeling for that era. An entirely different sense of humor that seems quaint today.  

********************

I found out that my grandmother, Helen Boardman, was a cheerleader and played basketball. She was also a member of the Biology Club and she co-wrote her class song. My mother never mentioned these things to us.  Helen whose nickname was Honey, appeared to be very well liked. She met her future husband, Charles Bonadio, while she was in high school, even though he was a few years older than her and had never attended high school.  But he is mentioned in several of the yearbook signings, so I can only assume that he was an accepted member of her social group.  I would love to know even more about her than this. Unfortunately, she died young when my mother was only 10 and I cannot even remember my grandfather ever mentioning her name let alone sharing stories of her.  But he did save these 2 yearbooks which were not found until awhile after his own death buried in the back of a rarely used closet where he lived with my mom.  



1930 Lock Haven Gazette

1930 - as a cheerleader during her Junior year 
and below chosen as the movie star Clara Bow



_______________________________________





1931 Lock Haven Gazette


Helen's Senior Photo


and on the basketball team

Below some of the memories of the Class of 1931








********************

My dad, John Heacock's, yearbooks fill out some stories that he would tell us.  He was pretty active in high school.  He played the cornet in the marching band and orchestra & played on the football team. He told us how he would have to change uniforms at halftime very quickly to perform with the band and back again for the games.  He was also an honor student, President of the Hobby Club and on the Student Council.  His first love tho, was wrestling.  As a junior high student, he started working out with the high school's team and in 1945 when he was a junior in high school, he became a Pa state champion.  He continued wrestling in college and even participated in an NCAA Tournament.  After college and the Army, he came back home and taught in his high school and so is in those yearbooks as a Faculty member and Coach.  He received his Masters Degree from and also taught for Penn State University and I imagine he is pictured or listed as Faculty in those yearbooks as well.  We do not have any of those.  I may have to look into that.  


1947 Bedford High School 


John's Senior Photo


Senior year Wrestling team
__________________




In 1951 Lock Haven yearbook on the wrestling team




1952 Lock Haven State Teachers College


And John's sister Margaret graduated with him

********************

One other different kind of yearbook that my husband has is from the Air Force.  He enlisted in 1974 and at the end of Basic Training a book is made available with the pictures of all the Flights that graduated for that 6 week period of time.  There are also some candids of those flights depicting the things the recruits went thru during Basics.  Here is his Flight photo.  While he did not appear in any candids, some who became friends of his did. 




**********************

My father in law, Gary Sinton, had a yearbook of sorts that detailed his Squadron's experiences during World War 2.  It's actually more of a history of the Bomb Group, but has photos and bios of the Group's members. I do not have access to it, but he once showed it to me and I have a copy of his bio page.  

I did find digital high school yearbooks for Gary from his freshman and sophomore years in 1941 & 1942 for Pottsville High School.  I do not know why, but he never graduated, but after the Army he went to school on the GI Bill and graduated with a Bachelors in Aeronautical Engineering.  



1941 Hi-S-Potts 


1941 - Freshman Class, 3rd row from bottom, 3rd from the right



1942 Hi S Potts


1942 - Sophomore class, 2nd row from top, 3rd from the right


1942 - the Associated Choir, 2nd row from top, 10th from the left

______________________







********************

I do not have my other grandmother, Elizabeth Arnold's, yearbook, but I do have a photocopy of her bio from the 1923 edition of the Bedford High School Echo. Elizabeth's husband, Floyd Heacock, graduated in 1924 from Bedford also.  I have not been able to find a yearbook from that year.  



********************

My mother in law, Caroline Betz,  graduated in 1942 from Tamaqua High School.  I found digitized copies of her yearbook, the Sphinx. She was a member of the Commercial Club.  After high school she did do some clerical work before getting married in 1946. 



Caroline's Senior photo, 2nd row center

*********************

One person that I have not mentioned here is my mom.  She attended a small catholic high school and her graduating class had only 20 members in 1949.  There was no yearbook that I know of.  

I've really enjoyed pulling out all of these yearbooks to write this piece.  Yearbooks really do give us a feel for their particular eras.  And, oh yes, here are my husband and I from our yearbooks. 1970's.









Please give credit and post a link to my blog if you intend to use any of the information written here. My blog posts are © Ann M Sinton 2022. All rights reserved. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Planes - (Week 27 - 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks)

 If you live anywhere near a major airport or military air base, you know it can be a love/hate relationship at times.  Some look at it as a...