Monday, February 6, 2023

Cornish surprise

 I ran across the article link below today in a Facebook group that I recently joined. As I read through it, I recognized two surnames that are in my family, French & Toms. So, naturally, I had to look into them. I did not find them related to the French & Toms families who are my ancestors, but I did find another name farther back that was, John Boscawen. John is my 14th great grandfather, born in 1438 in Cornwall, England and William French's (of the article) 9th great grandfather. John Boscawen's son Hugh is my ancestor and his daughter Christiana is William French's ancestor. William French therefore becomes my 10th cousin 5 times removed. The Boscawen family is also from Cornwall, England.

The Boscawen connection to me is Marie Boscowen who married Peter Coffin (my 12th great grandparents and the ancestors of my Coffins who came to Nantucket). Marie is the granddaughter of the above John Boscawen. Marie Boscowen-Coffin's tomb has this brass plate attached and is located in St Michael's in Penkevil, Cornwall. She died in 1622 at age 77.





Anyway, I found it an interesting article to give us a sense of what alot of our Cornish ancestors may have experienced in those times. And you never know what may pop up in front of you.



 Please give credit and post a link to my blog if you intend to use any of the information written here. My blog posts are © Ann M Sinton 2022. All rights reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Planes - (Week 27 - 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks)

 If you live anywhere near a major airport or military air base, you know it can be a love/hate relationship at times.  Some look at it as a...